Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Potty Training Our Girl

This past Saturday, Jose and I decided it was the day to begin potty training! I talked a little about my thoughts about starting(here), so we finally decided to give it three days to see how it goes. About two weeks ago, my dearest friend Kirsten was here with her son Theo and her daughter Madeline. Madeline is 2 1/2, and Kirsten potty trained her at 2. Well, Ella wanted to go to the bathroom with Madeline when she was here, and from that day on, she has asked to go poop in the potty with success each time. Of course she's had a diaper on, but every time she has pooped for the past two weeks, she has done so in the potty. She also started refusing to wear a diaper. In her words,"No, Mama/Dada off!"So, with all of the other signs and these added, we decided it was time to give it a go!

So, off to Target I went to get some needed items.




I also headed to Crazy 8 to pick her up some cute undies. She loved them!


I made a little incentive sticker chart for her to place stickers on each time she went on the potty. It's on the fridge so she can reach it herself!



Kirsten walked me throughly through her day by day with Madeline, so I wanted to follow the exact same. I knew if we were going to do this, all diapers had to be gone and there was to turning back for the three days. Here is a breakdown on each day and how it went. Be prepared, it's very detailed! I want to remember this when it's time to potty train baby #2 when that time comes. 

Day One
As soon as Ella woke up, I told her that she wasn't going to wear a diaper anymore, and showed her favorite Dolly going potty in the toilet. She thought it was the funniest thing and kept looking at her Dolly's pee pee. We then spent the morning mostly changing her pants because she had some many accidents. About twelve of them. She didn't seem to bothered by her wet pants, which had we a little worried. Finally around 10:00, she went pee pee on the potty. Yay for Ella! She then got to place a sticker on her chart and she also got to pick out one piece of candy from each reward container. She was so happy and proud of herself. She kept saying, "Good girl", and giving me high fives. It was so cute. I was so proud of her. She did well up until her nap, then I put on a Pull-Up and told her she would be wearing these special undies for sleeping only. She woke up dry two hours later, and immediately went potty on the toilet. The rest of the day was much better, and she only had about two accidents. If she started to go, she'd say, "Oh no poop", then we went to the toilet and she'd go pee pee. She went potty before she went to bed with her Pull-Up on, and that was the end of our very long day. 

Way to go Ella. Success!



Thanks Dolly for all your help today. It was such a long day stuck in the house.



Day Two:
We started the day off much like day one. I showed her Dolly going potty right when she woke up, then took off her Pull-Up and she went pee pee in the potty. Our morning was NOTHING like yesterday. She only had one accident, and the rest of the morning was smooth sailing. She did begin to go once, but I took her to the toilet and she finished. I took her every hour. Sometimes she would go, other times she wouldn't. She also asked to go poop, and was successful! For her nap, she went pee pee right before I put on her Pull-Up, and was dry two hours later when she woke up. She immediately went on the potty when she woke up, and I followed the same routine in the afternoon, taking her every hour. We decided to go to our pool(we were a bit stir crazy), and right as I was putting on her suit, she asked to go poop again. So off to the toilet we went, and sure enough she went. She normally only goes once a day, so I was really proud of her for telling me again. We swam for about 1.5 hours and I'm not sure if she went while in the pool. As soon as we got home, I took her to the bathroom and she immediately went pee. Yay! About an hour later she wanted to go with Jose to grab our dinner and she came back dry. I was shocked and again so proud of her. She didn't have an accident the rest of the evening, and went before she got in the bath. After her bath I placed her Pull-Up on, gave her some milk, and off to bed she went. Well... about 25 minutes later, she was up and making noise on the monitor. I took a peek and she was standing up holding her Pull-Up. I asked Jose to go put her back down, and she said poop(keep in mind she says this for poop and pee) as soon as Jose walked in. Jose took her out and I placed her on the potty. Her Pull-Up was a little damp, and she finished going in the toilet. Poor girl thought she had to go in the potty even when she's in her crib. I placed another dry Pull-Up on, and off to bed she went. She's working her way to sleep as I type. I cannot believe how amazingly today went. Let's hope it continues. Day two was a complete success!

Day Three:
We started things off the same, but this morning I decided not to show Dolly going potty. Ella had an amazing morning and afternoon. She had no accidents and again woke up from her nap dry. Since she was doing so well and I was going out of my mind crazy being home for the last three days, we decided to venture out to Target. It wouldn't be a long trip, but I wanted to see how'd she do. As soon as we got there, I started to take her in the bathroom, but she threw a complete fit. I didn't want her to have negative thoughts about going, so I decided to do our regular routine(ICEE and popcorn) and grab our two items quickly. I thought I could try it again on the way out. At this point she hadn't gone in about two hours, so I knew it was only a matter of time. Well, of course I got sidetracked, and started looking at curtains I so desperately love, and she said her famous words, "Oh no Mama, poop!"Sure enough her pants were starting to get wet, and I told her to told the rest until we could get to the bathroom. She did such a great job, and finished going on the potty as soon as we got to the toilet. Again, she was a little hesitant to go in, but I stayed right with her and reassured her it was ok. It's funny, I've gone in before with her and it has never fazed her. I guess it's because she is now going, and there is a lot of noise inside of the restroom. I blame this one on me. I should've insisted we go in at the beginning of our trip. I knew she had to go. Note to self: don't let your two year old make decisions for you! We left right after, and headed to met Dada and my Alma Mater, CSUSM, to walk/run the track. She did great and I brought the potty so she could go before we went home. I was so happy when she went in her travel potty! The rest of the evening was great, with no accidents. After last night, I decided I'd wait to put her Pull-Up on until right before bed. This was much better, as she went pee pee and was ready for night night. She was asleep in about 2.5 seconds until morning and woke up DRY!! Way to go Be. 






Ella was in heaven here. SO cute. I also posted a very sweet vid on Insta(@hollievon)


Overall, I cannot believe how well she's done. I mean, I was completely dreading it and almost convinced myself to wait until she was 2 1/2 during Christmas break to even try. With all of her signs, and a lot some convincing from Kirsten(THANK YOU!), I realized it was definitely time. Today she has continued to have no accidents, and is telling me when she has to go. Even when she was in the pool and during her bath. I think that is huge. So, I don't think I can say she is 100% potty trained, but we are certainly in the clear. For all of you who are dreading this, it can be done, in three days!! I never thought it was possible, but it is. NO MORE DIAPERS for our big girl. 

Let's hope this continues. I'll keep you posted! A HUGE thanks to Kirsten who received about a million texts throughout each day with questions. She has totally coached me through this process. It would not have happened without your help. 

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! So exciting!!! What are you going to do with all the extra $$$$ from not needing to buy diapers? Time to go shopping! :)
    I am so proud of your sweet girl. Way to go Ella! Now if only she could spread the interest to her little buddy Dono.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was so ready! Great job, Ella (and mommy and daddy, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to comment for a while...obviously I move a little slow! You did an amazing job and so did Ella. I think it's harder on us than them and I am in no way responsible for what you did! I am looking forward to being closer so these little girls can hang out together more!

    ReplyDelete