Thursday, July 25, 2013

Ella's 24 Month Update

I know I say this all the time, but I cannot believe how quickly two years has gone by. Ella had her 24 month appointment on July 8th, and she checked out to be a very happy and healthy girl. Ella's pediatrician was extremely happy with her progress in the last 6 months, and he answered all of my questions and put many of my concerns to rest. We are so lucky to have such an amazing and gentle pediatrician for our sweet Be. 



Here are her current stats!

Her weight is 26.6 pounds, which puts her in the 50% for weight.
She is 35 inches long, which puts her in the 65% for height.
Her head circumference is 47 cm, which is in the 48%.

I am usually able to get some good shots of her getting weighed, and measured. Well, that did not happen this go around. She was beside herself upset(probably because she was just there for a fever and rash), and she was clinging to me with a death grip. It was our most exciting appointment to date! Let me illustrate.



Here's what our girl has been up to in the last 6 months.

Language: At 18 months, I was so worried about her language. Well, come June, she had a huge language explosion. I have completely lost count of how many words she says, and at this point she can repeat most words we say. She still has a hard time with names, but we're working on it. It's funny, around other adults and kids, she doesn't talk much. She's actually kinda shy. But at home, she is non stop. Jose and I love it, and I cannot wait until she is speaking in larger, complete sentences. She says some three word phrases too. Here are a few examples!

I go Mama

Mama, Dada, I(that's her) go

Popcorn peese Mama

I go walk

Eat peese Mama/Dada 

Overall, I am so happy about her speech and so was her pediatrician. Yay!!




Wearing: Ella is pretty standard to size in pants, wearing 24 months or 2T. As far as dresses, shirts, sweaters, bathing suits, rompers, and Pj's, she wears 18-24 months. 24 months are a bit loose, and if I try to put her in a 2T, it is way too big. She is pretty petite and has really long legs. She definitely did not get that from her Mama!!

Ella is holding steady in a size 6 shoe, although many brands are too small.




Sleeping: Sleep is the exact same. She is awake by 5:30, naps for about 2 to 3 hours around 11:30, then she's in bed no later than 7. We have been extremely fortunate with her sleeping habits and hope they stay that way. I just wish she wasn't up so darn early!

She is able to climb out of the pack-in-play, which is often a struggle when we are away overnight somewhere or if she is at Abuela, Gigi's or Titi's. But once down, she won't try to climb out. Once last week she was so upset about going down for a nap, that she climbed out of her crib. We were shocked! I caught her on the monitor as she was on the top rail about to fall. I freaked. But, she hasn't done it since, so we are in no rush putting her in a toddler bed. I want to keep our active Be confined as long as possible!



Eating: Her eating habits have been a struggle. She is hardly eating lately, and I was completely freaked about it until her appointment. Her Pediatrician said not to worry,  and that she is at the perfect average weight for her age. He explained that toddlers really only eat ONE solid meal a day, whether it is breakfast, lunch, or dinner. He explained that the second meal would be considered a heavy snack, and at the third meal they often don't eat at all. He mentioned all that I can control is what I place in front of her, and that she will eat if she is hungry. It was a relief, and I've felt great about it ever since we talked. 

He did say I need to limit her milk intake, which is about 30 ounces a day. We also need to move to 2% instead of whole milk. She now drinks about 20 to 24 ounces a day of Horizon DHA 2% milk.



Favorite Toys and Activities: (I'm gonna list these)
  • Ella is obsessed with animals, and got a Little Peoples Zoo for her birthday that she just loves. 
  • Dada got her a tool box full of tools that she can't get enough of!
  • Legos are all over the house. She LOVES them!
  • She also got a cash register for her birthday. She's been fascinated by it.
  • Minnie is her fav, and she loves anything that has to do with her. So cute!
  • Ella still loves being outside. We go to the park EVERY SINGLE DAY.
  • Being in the pool or ocean is an all time favorite. She is a water baby for sure.


Behavior: Oh boy are we in trouble!! For the most part, Ella is such a happy girl with a very sweet and sensitive heart. But. . . . Ella is also strong-willed and wants what she wants, when she wants it. We have been struggling with her listening and she is being a bit defiant when we ask her NOT to do something. Most for the time she will run away giggling, then a tantrum ensues once I catch her. We have begun timeouts, which seem to be working. She has such a sad face sitting there that it breaks my heart. Other times I get so upset about what has just transpired that I too need time to cool down. I have to say, this has been our biggest struggle and challenge. I know this is something we will continue to work on, and we're up for the challenge. 



To Our Sweet Ella Catherine, 

You amaze your Dada and I everyday! We love you more than you can imagine, and feel so blessed to have you as our sweet girl. Every day you do something that surprises us, and we cannot believe how quickly you have grown. You have the sweetest, most sensitive heart, polite and considerate manners, and the most energetic and lively spirit. You bring so much joy to our lives Catherine. We love you so!

Te amo mucho bella,

Mama and Dada

3 comments:

  1. She is a doll! And I still can't get over that tan. Ughh!!! Lucky, lucky girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post...and what a darling your bitty Ella is. Wishing you all a happy and continued summer. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is SO adorable! Her curly hair just kills me.

    ReplyDelete