Thursday, June 21, 2012

Prayer Request



I'm linking up with Kelly's Korner today and I'm so excited to share Justin's story. Thanks for stopping by and for praying for my brother in law. It really means a lot.

On December 21, 2010, I had a seizure at 3:24am. After the hospital’s MRI, a tumor was found on the left temporal side of my brain. I had the brain tumor removed on February 23, 2011 and was diagnosed with  Anaplastic Astrocytoma brain cancer.
On March 28, 2011, I started radiation and chemotherapy pills for a 6 week course. At the end of this treatment, the tumor had not shrunk but no new growth was visualized.
In the beginning of May 2011, I continued my pill chemotherapy once a month for five days.  After four cycles of chemotherapy my tumor started to show signs of regrowth and at this time my treatment plan was changed to intravenous chemotherapy twice a month to include two medications: carboplast and avastin. I received an MRI four weeks after the start of IV chemotherapy which was reassuring. The result was that the tumor had stopped growing and the following month showed signs of shrinkage. 
I continue to get MRI’s every other month and receive chemotherapy intravenously twice a month. This treatment plan will continue until November 2012 and at that point I can stop chemotherapy and continue getting MRI’s every other month for one year.
At the time my tumor started to regrow, our family was very scared at what the future may hold. My Neuro/Oncologist, Dr. Spier and Karen, RN at Kaiser have been the rocks that hold Brooke and I together every month we meet. I will never forget when Dr. Spier stated,” The ones who will respond the best respond the fastest”.  The intravenous chemotherapy proved to be an success and my tumor has continued to be stable with no growth.
Over the course of the year, Brooke, the Boys and I have made many changes in our lives. Brooke switch my diet to inlcude, healthy shakes with protein, kale and tumeric.  We returned to church and prayer to help us in our journey to recovery and we continue to strive to keep family days alive.
However, this past year has been difficult. I am very tired and have not returned to work. I continue to manage and coach soccer and I am currently managing Grayson’s Shetland Team and Coaching Garin’s Pinto Team. This summer was definetly different in the Sturgeon house. We did several small trips to Palm Springs, Camping at South Carslbad and Camping at Santee Lakes with the Jordon’s. 
I would like to thank all my family and friends for the love and support that they have given to me over the last year. I want you all to know that I could not have done it without Brooke pushing me to be positive, the boys keeping me young, my family always helping at my side and my fans. I look forward to seeing you all very soon.
God Bless!
Justin, Brooke and Boys

5 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Kellie's and adding my prayers for a complete recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet reply. He continues to fight every day. Your prayers mean so much. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Meghan has shared your journey, and you know you are all in my prayers. I pray for Justin's healing, I pray for the wisdom of the doctors, and I pray for peace for this very sweet family. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just said a prayer and I will keep on praying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too pray for Justin's healing. I believe in miracles! Amazing story; feel like it could be me! I am due to start chemo and radiation in 2 weeks for my astrocytoma brain cancer. I meet with the oncologist at Johns Hopkins this coming week. Thank you for encouraging me Hollie; you are a special person. I don't know you but I am sure we would be friends if we met in real life :-) take care, Fiona :-)

    ReplyDelete