Saturday, October 1, 2011

Back to Work I Go

Well, it's come that time where I must go back to work. When Jose and I first found out I was pregnant, we were so excited that Ella would arrive when I was out of work for the summer. That meant I would have all summer to spend with Ella! We then had to decide how much additional time I could take off work once she finally arrive. Once Ella arrived (she was 10 days late), we decided that I would only be able to take an additional month off. It's funny, when people asked me how much maternity leave I got (8 weeks because of C-Section), they all said, " Wow! That's great. What so many didn't know was that just because I get 8 weeks, doesn't mean I'm getting paid for it! It just means I get to keep my job. So, I ended up having to take an additional 3 weeks of leave through FMLA. I had the option of taking up to 12 weeks, but unfortunately Jose and I could not afford for me to be out longer. So.... here we are. My 11 weeks are up and I'm headed back to the job I love.

Yesterday was my first official day back. As you can imagine, my morning was tough. I woke up, pumped, prepared all of Ella's bottles for the day, got dressed, and was ready to go. Jose was great and kept telling me she'd be fine. This just made the tears flow even heavier, but I knew he was right. Hubby didn't have to work, so he spent the day with Ella. I have to say this made leaving a lot easier. Knowing she was home with Dad wasn't so bad, but it was the first day I had been away from her longer than 2 hours. When I finally left, Ella was sleeping comfy in bed and I think I gave her a million kisses before I walked out the door.

As I arrived at work, I tried my very best not to cry, but as soon as I walked in the door the tears began. Everyone was so welcoming and it felt so nice to be back. My dearest friend Meghan welcomed me with a yummy iced chai latte and treat from Starbucks and gave me something I was in desperate need of. A hug! Seeing her face and hearing her encouraging words helped me realize that I could do it. Everything WOULD be ok and this would become my new normal daily routine. The day flew by and it was as if I was never gone. I told myself to leave by 4, and I almost made it. At about 4:30, I grabbed my belongings and headed home to see the sweetest girl in the world.

I know it's not going to be easy to leave her everyday, but I know she's being looked over by people who adore her. This WILL become my new "normal"!

3 comments:

  1. This made ME cry. I needed that hug even more than you did. It's not easy but I try to remind myself of all of the little lives that need us there at work too. I'm just so glad to have you back. Can't believe how adorable Ella is!!! I need to see her. Maybe a walk today?! I'm calling you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can feel the pain thru your blog. Knowing that those who love Ella are caring for her is a blessing I am sure. Selfishly, I am LOVING my "Oma" time. I know working Mom's do not have it easy, but you are also providing a blessing for all the children you work with.
    I am sending a cyber hug, and lots of prayers for ALL my working girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to go back to work after maternity leave. :-/ I had 15 weeks off, which everyone is so impressed with, but like you, I wasn't getting paid for it! It's worth it though to spend as much time as possible with your baby. :-)

    ReplyDelete